Sunday, June 1, 2014

Women of the Occupation


/Some of the women that kept the day-to-day operations on the Rock going during the Indian Occupation from 1969-1970. From left to right, Sue Tiger, Shirley (Garcia) Guevera, Sandra Aguilar, Eldy Bratt, Justine Moppin, Rosalie McKay and Cecelia Peppilion. My mom, Rosalie McKay, brought me and my 4 siblings to the Island in November 1969. They all made sure people were fed, the living arrangements were made bearable as possible, and helped maintain as much normalcy for the families, children and fellow occupiers. There were many others too. This picture was taken years later during one of the re-unions, i'm guessing the 20th or 30th anniversary of the Occupation, possible 1980 or 1990.(foto by Ilka Hartmann)

1 comment:

  1. Hello Mr. Willie. My name is Yimiao Wang (email: yimiao229@g.ucla.edu). I am an international student at UCLA. I am currently taking GENDER187: The Indigenous Archive with Professor Nancy Marie Mithlo, and I am preparing to complete my creative project entitled Radio Free Alcatraz: Liberation at “The Rock,” which will be completed by March 10th, 2022.
    We have learned about decolonizing the archive/museum and cultural resilience of Native communities, and that led me to the decision of creating a virtual exhibit of Occupation of Alcatraz. The practice of occupying and transforming the site of state violence/incarceration into a space of solidarity, care, and resilience is truly empowering. Therefore, I really want to educate myself and my classmates on this powerful activity through my project.
    I am really impressed by all the photos of the Occupation of Alcatraz that you shared, and I really appreciate your contribution to not only the occupation but also public recognition of this history that should be remembered. This might be abrupt, but I wonder if it is possible for me to get permission from you to use some of the photos you posted on your blog Alcatraz Memories. We have learned about many ethical concerns around Indigenous archives, such as naming, consent, and engagement. I would be very grateful if you could grant permission for the use of the images, stating any credit lines that you require. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to email me or contact me in any way convenient to you. I am looking forward to hearing from you.

    ReplyDelete